Written by: Elizabeth Hughes
Have you ever set aside 40 days (or a similar amount of time) to pursue something wholeheartedly? It could have been to get a certain grade in a class or to finish a big project that you were passionate about or even just more practice to become better skilled at something you love to do. We often put so much focus and attention on our school work, future plans, our hobbies and interests and even our relationships. But do we take the time to pursue the One Thing that matters most?
In the Scriptures, we often see that God used a period of 40 days to change, train and renew His people for the mission and purpose to which He called them. We see it coming up again and again, first with Noah’s flood raining down over the earth for 40 days and 40 nights (Gen. 7) and then with Moses on Mt. Sinai spending 40 days and 40 nights with the Lord, receiving from Him all the law and commandments (Ex. 24, Deut. 9). It was for 40 days that Jesus fasted in the wilderness before starting His ministry (Matt. 4:2, Luke 4:2). And after dying on the cross and resurrecting, He appeared to His disciples and many others for 40 days before ascending to the right hand of God (Acts 1:3). Time and time again, He chose to use that period of 40 days to make an impact on the people He created and loved.
Our hope is that the Lord would also make an impact on you, His beloved child, with these 40 days as you set aside time to really seek Him and His will for your life. As you participate in this 40-Day Devotional Challenge by reading and reflecting on the truth of His Word and communicating in your heart with Him through prayer and fasting, we trust that God will bring a breakthrough for you–building you up, encouraging and better preparing you to impact others in the way He designed you to for the Lord Jesus Christ.
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. (Psalm 27:4)
- Have you ever pursued a certain goal or aim so passionately that you had to give it your all over a prolonged period of time in order to achieve it? What was it? Why was it important to you?
- How do you feel about setting aside these next 40 days to seek God and His will?
- What do you hope He will do in and through you over the course of and by the end of the next 40 days?
- Faith and Career (Part 2) – Trusting God’s plans - February 22, 2023
- Faith and Career (Part 1) – Being a Light in the Workplace - January 18, 2023
- Reflecting on Red Flags to Look Out For - November 30, 2022