(Written by: Wicy Zhang)
How do we pray for ourselves as sons and daughters? What are our roles as children?
To answer the above questions, we first need to understand our relationship with God and how He sees us. God, who is all-knowing, is our heavenly father who watches over us and guides us, not only in our spiritual journey, but in our life journey as well. He created His children, us, for His glory so that we may honor Him in every aspect of our lives (Is. 43:7 and 1 Cor. 10:31). But as sinners with our own fleshly desires, how can we honor God?
I believe the key is to know that we are deeply loved as His children. Romans 5:8 states, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Knowing that, we can be at peace because God cares for us and values us as treasures! A proper response to God’s love and majesty over us is to love Him wholeheartedly. “You shall love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” (Deut. 6:5)
As we are in a flourishing loving relationship with God – when we are filled with His love – our love will overflow to others (1 John 4:7-8), including our parents. Indeed, one of our main roles as sons and daughters to our parents is to love and respect them. “Each of you must respect your mother and father…”(Lev. 19:3)
One of the many expressions of our love and respect is obedience. As children of God, He gave us a command, “Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord” (Colossians 3:20). If we love God as His children, we are to obey His teachings and live out our faith here on earth. It is not easy because we are not perfect, and we will fail. But God who has called us to love Him will also give us strength and wisdom to show love to our parents with patience and His grace. All He asks of us is to trust and obey.
By doing so, it is a reflection of our relationship with God.
Please pray along with me over these different prayer points:
- Prayer of thanksgiving – thank God for adopting us into His kingdom through His Son Jesus Christ.
- Pray for our spiritual walk with Christ as children of God and growth in intimacy with our Father.
- Pray for patience as we strive to be Christ-like sons and daughters to our earthly parents.
- Pray for God’s guidance as we learn our parents’ ways and how to obey them.
- Pray for understanding and wisdom as we live in the care of our parents.
- Pray for God to grow our love for our parents.
- Pray that we can see our parents’ strengths and weaknesses so that we know how to encourage them or assist them.
- Pray for a grateful heart towards our parents.